Please read the following information carefully. It provides instructions about NYMC Secondary Application requirements and important filing deadlines.
secondary applications must be completed no
later than January 31, 2013. If you are applying to the
Early Decision Program (EDP)
the Secondary Application must be completed by August
Your application to New
York Medical College will only be reviewed after you have sent us the
following required materials:
A fully completed online
Secondary Application and application fee, or fee waiver request, AND
All required Letters of
Any additional information that may be requested by the Office
You can check the status of your application online
throughout the application cycle by using your assigned user name and user password.
Applications are reviewed as they are completed and as necessary throughout the application cycle.
You may be invited
to NYMC for an
interview anytime during our interview season which runs from mid-September through the end of April.
We make every effort to process and
review applications promptly. You can assist us in several ways:
Apply and complete early.
The earlier your application is complete, the earlier we can review your file.
Check your status online.
Please do not call the Office of Admissions
on a regular basis to check on the status of your application. When we are
busy answering phone calls we are not free to process applications.
Please report any
change in your name,
social security number, postal address or e-mail address
directly to AMCAS. If you think there may be confusion about the name that is used on your your
letters of evaluation, you can alert us by sending us an email at email@example.com, but any official name change must
be reported through AMCAS.
Please read this information carefully. The review of your application will be delayed if your application is incomplete or incorrect. If you are not prepared to complete the entire Secondary Application at this time, you may begin now and complete it at a later date. Please be sure to use the exact name you submitted to AMCAS on all documents.
|STEP 1: VERIFY PREREQUISITES
In order to apply to New York
Medical College you must meet the following conditions. It is your
responsibility to make sure that you meet all requirements. Please do not apply
if you do not meet these conditions.
All courses offered in
satisfaction of the requirements for admission must be taken in, or accepted as
transfer credits by, an accredited college in the United States or Canada and
must be acceptable to that institution toward a baccalaureate degree in arts
or sciences. This includes Advanced Placement courses taken in high school.
You have successfully
or have them in progress:
- General Biology, 2
semesters or equivalent, with lab
- General Chemistry, 2 semesters or equivalent, with lab
- Organic Chemistry, 1
semester or equivalent, with lab
- Biochemistry, 1 semester or equivalent (with or without lab) - OR - 2nd semester Organic Chemistry (with or without lab)
- Physics, 2 semesters or
equivalent, with lab
- English, 2 semesters or
equivalent (or successful completion of the English requirements of your undergraduate institution)
have taken the Medical
College Admission Test (MCAT)
between January 2010 and September 2012. MCAT scores from tests taken prior to
January 2010 will not be accepted.
Please do not complete
this application if you have had scholastic difficulty in any medical school,
or previously withdrawn and been dismissed from any medical school.
|STEP 2: PROVIDE LETTERS OF
Please read the instructions below carefully. Applications without the required letters of evaluation will not be reviewed.
General Information about Letters of Evaluation
- Required Letters of Evaluation must be received through the AMCAS Letter Service. Optional letters may be sent through the AMCAS Letter Service, or via PDF attachment to the NYMC Office of Admissions email account (firstname.lastname@example.org), or via US Postal Service.
All letters must be on official
letterhead and signed. (Electronic signatures are accepted)
Please request that your AMCAS ID
be included on each of your letters.
- You must use the same name on all documents you submit to AMCAS
must re-submit Letters of Evaluation.
required documents must be postmarked by
January 31, 2013.
- Our Mailing address is:
New York Medical College
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions - Room 147
Valhalla, NY 10595
If you graduated
prior to 2010
(this does not include 2010) and are unable to obtain Letters of Evaluation
from your undergraduate or graduate school, we will accept other academically oriented
letters. However, keep in mind that providing us with the requested letters
will strengthen your application.
REQUIRED LETTERS OF EVALUATION
Undergraduate School Letters of Evaluation
If your college has a
Premedical Advisory Committee, a single letter of evaluation from the Committee is
preferred and will fulfill all undergraduate letters of evaluation requirements. A Committee letter
does not require the names of individual letter writers.
- If your college does not have a premedical committee, a total of three (3) letters of evaluation from undergraduate faculty are required AND the names of the individual letters writers must be listed on your AMCAS application. Two (2) letters must be from science faculty (e.g.) biology, chemistry, physics, bio-medical engineering or bio-engineering, etc. who have either taught you in a class OR supervised you in independent research for which you have received credit toward your science GPA. (Math is not considered a science course for purposes of letters of evaluation.) The third letter must be from a non-science course.
IMPORTANT NOTE: One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.
Graduate School Letters of Evaluation
If you have completed or are currently pursuing a graduate degree, in addition to the undergraduate letters outlined above the following graduate letters of evaluation are required:
- One (1) letter of evaluation is required either from faculty in your graduate department who have taught you in a graduate class or supervised independent research for which you received graduate credit or the Premedical Advisory Committee of your graduate program. A letter from a graduate science faculty member can substitute for one (1) undergraduate science letter.
- If you have just begun a graduate program in Summer/Fall 2012, one (1) letter of evaluation from faculty in your graduate department is required upon completion of your first semester. This requirement also applies if you are enrolled in non-degree granting graduate program.
Optional Letter of Evaluation
- Letters of evaluation from employers and/or volunteer clinical or community service experiences where you have spent significant amounts of time are highly recommended but not required.
- Employment and/or volunteer clinical or community service work references do not substitute for academic references. They are considered supplemental to the required letters of evaluation.
- ALL submitted optional letters of evaluation are placed in your file. However, only the names of two (2) letters writers will appear in the “letters tab” on your on-line application status page.
STEP 3: ADDITIONAL COMPLETION AND PAYMENT INFORMATION
- If applicable, under Faculty and /or NYMC Employee Contact information, type the name of the person, hospital name, department and the position or title of this individual. Use the arrow button to indicate your relationship to the faculty member/employee.
- If applicable, under Alumni Relatives, type the name and year of graduation from NYMC for any alumnus relative(s) you have. Use the arrow button to indicate the school/program and your relationship to the alumnus. If you choose Graduate Medical Education Program/Residency, enter the hospital and department.
- If you are submitting a Committee Letter from your undergraduate school, please check the appropriate box and enter the name of the college you attended. (A committee letter must be signed on behalf of a committee by one of its members.) Otherwise, for each letter of evaluation entered, please type in the name and title of the evaluator, the course name and number, the name of your undergraduate or graduate college where you took the course, and the number of credit hours earned. It is very important that you indicate which of the letters you submit are in your undergraduate major by checking the appropriate box.
- If you are submitting optional letters of evaluation, please type in the name and title of the evaluator and the name of the institution.
- If your graduate studies begin in Summer/Fall 2012, upon completion of your first semester please be sure to submit a graduate letter of evaluation either through the AMCAS Letter Service, or via email to New York Medical College (email@example.com), or via US Postal Service.
- Please enter information pertaining to this first semester graduate letter of evaluation as follows:
Under Evaluator name
Under Evaluator Title
Under Course number
Under College name
Enter name of graduate school
Under Credits earned
A $110 non-refundable application fee is required. This fee can be processed electronically or by sending a check or fee waiver stub to:
New York Medical College
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions - Room 147
Valhalla, NY 10595
Memo: Secondary Application Fee
Be sure to include your AMCAS ID # on your check or fee waiver stub.
Please follow the payment instructions at the end of this application.
August 8, 2012