Introduction to the New York Medical College Social Media Policy and Guidelines
Social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube have gained popularity in recent years as a means for individuals and organizations to connect in a more participatory fashion. For educational institutions like New York Medical College, social networking sites provide another opportunity to reach out to our various audiences, particularly prospective students, current students and alumni.
Social media tools have the potential to create a significant impact on the reputation of our university. The Office of Public Relations (PR) is responsible for the College’s official social media presence, and we encourage other departments and groups within the NYMC community to establish a presence of their own in the social media sphere.
To ensure the best experience and greatest benefit, both to the College and to social media users, the NYMC Social Media Policy Task Force has developed a policy to portray, promote and protect the College in a way that is consistent with its mission and reputation.
The social media policy applies only to accounts that represent the College in an official capacity. It is not required for personal social media accounts that are used solely for personal purposes and outside of business hours. However, the guidelines, tips and FAQs can be helpful to all who decide to venture into this new and exciting form of communication.
- All account holders must register with the Office of Public Relations, and are subject to approval.
- Include the letters NYMC in your user name, so that anyone looking for NYMC accounts can find them using simple search tools.
- NYMC-approved Facebook accounts must be pages or groups, not individual accounts.
- Profile photo or image must comply with NYMC graphic standard*. Do NOT use the NYMC logo/caduceus/seal as your profile image or avatar.
- Provide two links on your page in the “About” section:  the official NYMC (PR) account in each social platform you engage (shown below) and  the official NYMC website.
- Responsible administrators must be assigned to maintain and monitor activity on the account—one primary administrator and a backup. If no backup is available, you will need to provide administrator privileges to a member of the OPR staff.
- Each officially-sanctioned account must include a disclaimer statement regarding content and opinions contained on the site. [Ex: “The postings on this site are my own and do not represent NYMC’s positions, strategies, or opinions.”]
- Inappropriate, offensive, injurious and illegal content should be removed by account administrators as directed by the policy.
- An ongoing list of existing NYMC-authorized accounts will appear on the Social Media microsite.
If you would like more information on any of the above please contact:
Donna Moriarty, MPH '04
Associate Vice President, Communications
Phone: (914) 594-4536
Fax: (914) 594-4541
Page updated: September 7, 2011